Current research in the areas of ICT for Development. Interests include:
- 1.low-cost interactive distance education without the use of Internet,
- 2.low cost data collection from remote rural regions,
- 3.collection and delivery of agricultural market information from rural regions
- 4.low cost order, distribution management and sales monitoring in rural areas
- 5.secure national voting through mobile phones
- 6.e-learning, m-learning and participatory techniques that transfer ownership
- 7.use of Mind Maps in student counseling, psychological counseling
- 8.use of participatory techniques in distance education
- 1. Islam, Y.M., Razzaq, S.S., Sayed, M.A. & Zaman, S. (2006). "Testing e-Learning software that incorporates two powerful learning elements of a face-to-face classroom", Proceedings of the International Conference on Computer Aided Learning (ICL'06), Villach, Austria. September 27 - 29.
- 2. Islam, Y.M., Gronlund, Å., Rahman, Z., Razzaq, S.S., Sayed, M.A., & Zaman, S. (2006). "Interactive-Lecturing , a new approach to improving teaching delivery and student learning in a face-to-face classroom situation" WSEAS TRANSACTIONS on ADVANCES in ENGINEERING EDUCATION Issue 5, Volume 3, May 2006, ISSN 1790-1979 , www.wseas.org.
- 3. Islam, Y.M., Rahman, Z., Razzaq, S.S., Sayed, M.A., & Zaman, S. (2006). "Interactive-lecturing a learning tool to improve classroom learning" Proceedings of the 10th WSEAS International Conference on COMPUTERS, Vouliagmeni, Athens, Greece, July 13-15.
- 4. Islam, Y.M., Rahman, Z., Razzaq, S.S., Sayed, M.A., & Zaman, S. (2006). "Effect of Feedback during Lecture Style Delivery Both in a Face-to-Face Classroom & during a Distance Education Television Session in a Developing Country like Bangladesh without the Use of Internet," ICALT, pp. 469-471, Proceedings of Sixth IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT'06), Kerkrade, The Netherlands.
- 5. Islam, Y.M., Ashraf, M., Rahman, Z. & Rahman, M. (2005). "Mobile Telephone Technology as a Distance Learning Tool". ICEIS 2005, Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems, Miami, USA, May 25-28, 2005. ISBN 972-8865-19-8, pp.226-232.
- 6. Islam, Y.M., & Doyle, K. (2008). Distance Education via SMS Technology in Rural Bangladesh. In Doyle, Ken (Ed.) Psychology and the New Media: Volume 2. Special Issue of American Behavioral Scientist, 52(1), 87-96.
- 7. Nesa, M & Islam, Y.M, (2008). “Use of mobiles to introduce a mechanism of feedback in Distance Education delivered through video/television for the purposes of improving quality of delivery”, at the International Conference on “Quality Enhancement in Educational Communication”, Tiruchirapalli, India, March 29-30.
- 8. Alam, M. S. & Islam, Y.M. (2008). “Virtual Interactive Classroom (VIC) using Mobile Technology at Bangladesh Open University (BOU). 5th Pan-Commonwealth Forum on Open Learning – Access to learning for Development, London, 13-17 July, 2008.
- 9. Grönlund, Å., Islam, Y. (2008a) The eduPhone: Interactive eLearning for developing countries. In Jancewski, L.J. (ed) /Global Mobility Roundtable: Innovative Services Through Mobile Technologies/, University of Auckland, NZ. ISBN 978-0-473-14252-0
- 10. Grönlund, Å. & Islam, M. Y. (2008b) Bangladesh Virtual Classroom: eLearning for all – today. In CUNNINGHAM, P. & CUNNINGHAM, M. (Eds.) Collaboration and the Knowledge Economy - Issues, Applications, Case Studies (5): eChallenges e-2008. Stockholm, Sweden, IOS Press. pp. 1565-1572. ISBN*:* 978-1-58603-924-0