Dr. Rahman has significant contributions for the expansion of computer science education and research in Bangladesh. He has initiated a number of national and international conferences in the area of Computer Science and Information Technology and established and edited a number of research journals for universities and professional societies in Bangladesh. He worked with a number of national projects related to Computer Networks and the Internet.
Professor Rahman was awarded many awards and honor by several institutions and organizations. Few of them are mentioned below.
- Dr. M. Lutfar Rahman was awarded the Halima-Sharfuddin Science Writer Prize for the year 1992 (Bengali Year 1399) by the Bangla Academy, Dhaka, for the Bengali Book entitled, “Adhunik Computer Bigjnan ”, published in 1992 by the Nobojug Publications, Dhaka.
- Dr. M Lutfar Rahman was awarded “Best IT specialist of the Year (2005)” by Rafiqul Islam Foundation, Dhaka.
- Dr. M. Lutfar Rahman was awarded “Global Academic Excellence Award” by Amity University, Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India in 2012.
- Dr. M. Lutfar Rahman was awarded the Asia’s Best B-School Award the “Award for Outstanding Contribution to Education”. The award was presented in Singapore in 2012 by World Education Congress, CMO, Asia with CMO Council as Strategic Partner and Stars of the Industry Group as a Research Partner.
- He was awarded “Begum Rokeya Memorial Award 2012” by Bangladesh Shikkha Porjobekkhok Society, Dhaka for contributions to education and Begum Rokeya University, Rangpur.
- Dr. M Lutfar Rahman was awarded “12th Rapport Award for Excellence in Human Resource Development 2012” by Rapport Bangladesh.
- He was awarded the “Award for Outstanding Contribution to Education” in Singapore in 2012 by World Education Congress, CMO, Asia.
- He received Life-time Award of Achievements in IT Education in Bangladesh, Dhaka University IT Society, 2014.